- Issue Time
The World Steel Association's fifth Steelie Award winners were announced at the annual dinner of the 48th worldsteel conference in Moscow last night. The trophies, known as Steelies, were awarded in seven categories this year.
The categories and winners were:-
• Steel Industry website of the year: ArcelorMittal (http://corporate.arcelormittal.com)
• Innovation of the year: ArcelorMittal Dofasco for spreader beam use
• Excellence in sustainability: Gerdau for improving the sustainability of its scrap supply chain
• Excellence in Life Cycle Assessment: Tata Steel Europe for the use of LCA to demonstrate the benefits of steel in bridge designs versus alternative materials
• Excellence in education and training: Tenaris for development of online learning courses with The University of Sheffield and edX
• Journalist of the year: John Miller, Wall Street Journal
• Industry communicator of the year: Alexey Mordashov, Severstal
The selection process for nominations varies between awards. In most cases, nominations are requested via the appropriate membership committee and the worldsteel extranet. Entries are then judged by selected expert panels using agreed performance criteria. Journalist of the year and Communicator of the year are selected by direct vote.
Edwin Basson, worldsteel's director-general, said: “The Steelie Awards recognise member companies or individuals for their contribution to the steel industry over a one-year period in a series of categories impacting the steel industry. The areas covered range from communications, technology, and education to environment – all areas that are vital for the industry to remain sustainable."